Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Vegan Buffalo Chicken Dip

So at my work, Walmart, they kept showing an ad for a buffalo chicken dip. Well Husband and I went back to vegan February 1st, so ranch was not an option for this dip. I looked up a few recipes and came across this one. It wasn't a pin because the site has no pictures.

Even though we do not watch sports, we had this dip on Sunday (Super Bowl Sunday), so it was sort of appropriate even though we did not participate. I also made pasta salad to go with it.




Recipe requires:
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 3/4 teaspoon ground black pepper 

- 1 teaspoon seasoned salt 
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder 
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder 
- 1/8 teaspoon dried thyme
- 8 oz of silken tofu (most tofu is 14 oz)
- 16 oz of vegan cream cheese (tofutti is a great brand)
- 1/2 c PLAIN/UNSWEETENED soy milk (do not use the regular one because it can make the dip a little sweet)
- 3/4 c Franks sauce
- 1 package your favorite fake chicken, recipe says to use smart strips, but they were pricey
- celery for dipping (I also used cucumbers because I love to use them for dips)

- First preheat oven to 300 degrees.
- Cut/chop chicken by hand or in chopper.
- Combine all the dry ingredients with soy milk and tofu in blender, then add cream cheese and Franks. 
- Place in pan and cook for 30 minutes.




I chopped the chicken by hand. So if you haven't caught on to my cooking style, I just can't seem to follow a recipe fully...I'm a rebel I guess. I didn't have thyme, and only bought one container of cream cheese because I didn't pay attention to the size needed. So since there would be extra silken tofu, I decided to use that in place of the extra cream cheese, plus its less fat and calories doing it that way. The dip turned out fine with that change. It was tasty but the first night it seemed like it was missing substance...like there wasn't enough chicken...it was like eating creamy Franks sauce with celery and cucumber slices. After being in the fridge, it was much better and thick like dip should be.

The next day, since I still had a bunch of dip left, I sliced up potatoes for breakfast and once they were cooked , I added some of the dip to coat it, they were fantastic! I did that twice. I had some left over so I made Franks pita sandwiches with the dip, lettuce, tomato, and cucumber. It was devine! So I followed the slogan... Franks Red Hot (chicken dip), I put that S*** on everything! HAHA






1 comment:

  1. I wish i liked spicy foods! i would like to try this! but id probably use real chicken ;-)

    ReplyDelete